Sunday, August 7, 2011

Working in the Slums

This is going to sound odd, but I truly mean it---I have been so blessed to be able to work in the slums. Despite the harsh conditions that all of the people there live in, they are some of the most kind, generous, and inspiring people I’ve ever come across. I went into this fellowship intending to learn and research water and sanitation, but I feel like I am learning so much more than I could have ever expected to.
Most of the people I’ve been able to interview have been women. In Kanpur, Shramik Bharti has been able to improve water and sanitation conditions in the slums by helping women in their perspective areas organize and pool their efforts and money into issues that are most affecting their own communities. I’ve been able to talk with many of the different community members about what these issues are—in some cases its needing community bathrooms, in others its wanting water handpumps, and sometimes it the desire for a better sewage system to help ease the flooding that the monsoon causes. These women meet in groups of around 15 and each contributes a given amount of money to the group fund. Then based on the need decided by the entire group, it is loaned out at an interest rate of 1.5%. This rate is exceedingly lower and more manageable then the 10% rate that money lenders give. Additionally the close proximity that these women live in provides them with an easy way to hold each other accountable for when individuals in their group do take out loans. What they have been able to accomplish for themselves and their communities is so impressive. They have shared how their involvement in Self Help Groups have given them peace of mind to know that there is money available to make necessary changes in the community and emergency situations, and how it has helped lessen the domestic abuse that many of them face. I feel so honored that these women were willing to share such personal information with me and I know that the lessons I have learned will not be forgotten.
India has been a challenge because it is so different than everything I know and am used to. Although it was difficult at times, I truly think that all good things are. It is hard for me to believe that the summer is coming to a close and I will be returning home soon. Although I am excited to return home and see my friends and family, I feel like I have a new found appreciation for things that I had so often taken for granted before I left. My experience working in the slums was truly priceless, and I can't think of a better way I could have spent my summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment