Thursday, July 14, 2011

My First Full Week in Kanpur

This week has gone by so quickly. Its humorous now looking back at how I felt Monday morning and realizing I didn't need to be nearly as nervous as I was. I was informed on Friday that my direct supervisor would be gone this week for a business trip to Kenya and I wasn't exactly sure how I would be able to get my questions answered or who would be giving me my assignments for the week. Luckily, everyone in the office has been so kind and helpful and I've been able to get by just fine. The beginning of my work mostly entailed researching the history of Shramik Bharti's work and the progress they have made in Urban slums, and I was given three huge packets of information on all of their Water and Sanitation work from the past four years. It was slightly intimidating at first because I wasn't instructed exactly on what to focus on and there was so much information in each packet. Prior to my arrival, I didn't realize how large of an organization Shramik Bharti was. Not only do they have offices in multiple cities but they simultaneously run so many programs related to the different issues impacting the people in the urban slums. These include things like women's rights and gender inclusion, community health, livelihood promotion, adopt a Grandparent and others. I felt so fortunate to have met Ms. Usha Varkey and Mr. Ganesh Pandey, two of the founders of Shramik Bharti. They are so humble and relatable and I am extremely grateful for them because they have made me feel comfortable enough to ask them any questions I might have. I also discovered that Shramik Bharti's work with water began in the last four years when their partnership with another nongovermental organization, WaterAid, began. WaterAid is a big funder of Shramik Bharti and their relationship is really important because of the resources that WaterAid has access to. After I familiarized myself with all the information, I was asked to fill out the Project Self Assessment Reflection document to the WaterAid India Liaison office. Although it was difficult because of the length and detail of knowledge it required, I was able to complete it with the help of people in the office. My next assignment has been to fill out an application for the Japan Water Forum Fund. In the application, I am supposed to discuss the upcoming projects that Shramik Bharti is planning to use the money for. These involve, assistance for the blind and their families, and the construction of households toilets for the elderly population in the slums.

Next week when my direct supervisor, Mr. Rakesh Pandey returns, I believe my fieldwork in the slums will begin. Although I am slightly anxious for how it will go, my nerves were really calmed after I met two other American interns that Shramik Bharti has. Although their programs are different (Maternal Health) they have already traveled to the slums and worked with Shramik Bharti for a month. They only had positive things to say and they have given me some helpful advice about who I should talk to specifically if I'm having computer problems, or what I should wear in the slums, and other things of that nature. Although today is their last day, it was really great to have one of my work weeks overlap with theirs and be able to get some advice and help from people that are coming from a similar background and culture that I am.

Outside of the work front, things have also been going really well. Although I have been struggling a bit with the humidity, I am absolutely loving eating mangos everyday. They have quickly become my favorite fruit. I am also happy to say that I am starting to pick up small Hindi phrases and I get so excited when I understand what people are saying. Communicating with autoricksaw drivers has become increasing easier and I am just really enjoying mindset that so many of the people I have met here have. The other day for example, one of the leaders of the Community Health programs, Ms. Sandhana came into the office and asked the group of people I was in the room with if we wanted to go get ice cream. She said that we had been working all day and week long and that we needed to take a break sometime. Thats exactly what I mean. The people I have met and worked with really seem like they want and try to take the time to enjoy themselves and get to know the people they work with. I guess I just really like their attitude and mindset. They are so appreciative, hardworking, and happy despite all of the hardship that they see everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment