Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pre-Arrival Jitters

I am going to India in 9 days. I can hardly believe it. My dream of 11 years is actually happening and I feel so blessed to get the opportunity to return. This summer already has been wonderful because I was able to travel and work these past two months in Ankara Turkey. I have really enjoyed my time here but I truly cannot wait to go back to India.

Despite my excitement, I would be lying if I said I wasn’t ridiculously nervous as well. I am going to be seeing a lot of my family and I won’t have my father to tell me who everyone is, how to address them, or how to get around. I don’t have the comfort of having someone personally take me around that speaks the language. But I like challenges and I have always valued being independent---plus it helps that I have worked on conquering that particular concern while in Turkey because I’ve managed to get by and travel every weekend without knowing any Turkish to start off with. It’s actually humorous how much better at charades I’ve gotten. Although when I really think about my biggest concerns, getting by isn’t even really one of them. I mostly nervous for how I’m going to feel after working in the slums and witnessing poverty daily. I want this experience so badly, and I truly think that traveling is one of the most life changing and eye opening things that a person can experience. I have no doubt that working with a water sanitation unit for a nongovernmental organization will enlighten me and make me more grateful for what I have but I still can’t help but to be nervous. Nothing I have seen in my travels has ever compared to the memories I have of the poverty I witnessed in India. I always found myself wondering how I could be so fortunate and have so many things when so many other people do not even have food or water. The fact that food and water are even luxuries astounds and disgusts me and it’s something that I know will have a hard time being reminded of everyday. I just want to learn as much as I can and soak up whatever information I’m able because I want to find a way to give back in my life, much like our generous donor has done with us. I know that I’m fortunate for not only what I have and what for I know I will learn from my experience—but I hope that I’m lucky enough to be able to make a positive impact where I am as well. I guess only time will tell but for now I’m going to try to stay hopeful and just work on making my transition from Turkey to India as smooth as possible.

1 comment:

  1. You're now in India! Crazy!
    I hope your flight(s) went well -- look forward to seeing pictures and reading about your new adventures!
    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete